350g plain flour
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
2 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp ground cinnamon
175g light soft brown sugar
4 tbsp golden syrup
- Sift together the flour, bicarbonate of soda, ginger and cinnamon.
- Add the butter and sugar and make into breadcrumbs using a fork or fingers.
- Beat the egg and golden syrup together. Add this to the flour and mix until it clumps together.
- Tip out the dough, knead until smooth, wrap in clingfilm and leave to chill in the fridge for 15 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4. Line two baking trays with greaseproof paper.
- Roll the dough out to a 0.5cm thickness on a lightly floured surface.
- Use cutters to cut out shapes and place on the baking tray.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes, or until lightly golden-brown. Leave on the tray for 10 minutes and then move to a wire rack to finish cooling.
- When cool, decorate with icing sugar.